In today’s world, privacy is really a concern and its everybody’s choice about what they want to share and what they don’t. No one would really want to show someone things that they shouldn’t have seen.
This applies to Messenger also as you would not want someone to read the private conversation you had earlier. The best option here is to always delete the chat. But sometimes this option isn’t available as you might want to keep the conversation as a type of memory.
Then in these types of cases, the only option you are left with is to hide the chat in messenger. So only you would be able to see the chat whenever you want.
Personally I would advise deleting all the chats after a certain time duration. Only keep conversations if you really think they are very important and worth keeping.
So let’s see how can you hide a conversation in messenger.
Hide message chat in Messenger
Let’s start by hiding conversation in Facebook Messenger also known as Archived in Messenger.
- Open the Messenger App on your phone.
- Right swipe on the conversation you would like to Hide.
- Tap on three horizontal lines.
- You will get multiple options in that tap on Archive.
This will hide the chat or conversation in messenger for now.
Unhide chat in Messenger
To Unhide conversation in messenger, open messenger on your phone.
- In search bar search the name of the person, you have previously hidden the conversation.
- Now you would be able to see their conversation in the search results.
- If you want to Unhide it, just send them a message.
Sending them a message will make the conversation unhidden until you again archive it.
How to hide a conversation on Facebook Desktop site
Login to your Facebook account on the desktop computer and follow the steps below.
- Click on the messenger icon in the upper right menu.
- Click on See all in Messenger in that menu.
- Now to the conversation that you want to hide and click on three dots.
- In that menu select Hide.
This will hide the conversation.
How to Unhide conversation on Facebook desktop
Again open Facebook on your desktop browser and then click on Messenger icon in the upper right menu. And then follow the steps below.
- In messenger, menu click on See all in Messenger.
- Now click on the gear symbol near your profile icon in the upper left corner.
- Then in that click on Hidden chats.
- Now click on the chat that you want to unhide and send them a message.
This will unhide the chat on Facebook desktop.
Drawbacks of hiding a conversation
- If that person(person’s conversation you have made hidden) messaged you then the conversation will be unhidden.
- If someone else uses your messenger and also knows the other person’s name, then they will also be able to search for your hidden conversation.
- If someone got access to your Facebook account on a desktop browser, then he/she will be able to see the list of conversations you have archived(made hidden).
Most importantly all the chats and regular messages on Facebook are not end-to-end encrypted. Even hidden messages can also be tracked so if you really care about your privacy it’s better to use Secret conversation on Facebook for communication.
These methods hide conversations, but only until anyone messages from either side. So if the other person messages you that chat will be unhidden.
As a piece of advice, nothing is always hidden or secure so it’s better to never share or at least delete things that you would not like anyone else to read(for example Financial Info, credit card number, etc).
If you like what you read please share it with your friends so that they could also enjoy some privacy. And if you need some other help or want to tell us something feel free to contact us or mention in comments.