If you directly want to see installation procedure to install kali linux on USB with persistence click here.
Do you know a little about hacking? If yes, then you will know that at some point every hacker uses Kali Linux. Kali is also called as hacker’s paradise. As Kali Linux contains most of the Hacking and pen-testing tools. Kali has great support also which keeps these hacking tools updated. Using this tutorial you don’t even need to type a single command to install Kali Linux on USB with persistence
Still, You might have a question in Mind why to install it on USB? See you can install in Dual boot also but an operating system like Kali should be readily disposable. Installing it on a USB protects your main operating system on the computer. Most importantly you always have your Kali in your pocket. So wherever you go just plug it in any PC and you are ready to do your work.
You might also think why not to create a VM install of Kali Linux(installing in Softwares Like VM ware)?
- Installing in VM puts limitations on the use of hardware resources. But when you use from USB you are able to use all your hardware capability.
- You don’t require free hard drive space.
- No need to tunnel your internal wireless adapters to eth0
- You can carry your OS with you to use on any computer.
Minimum System Requirements For Kali Linux
- Minimum 1GB of RAM (Recommend 2GB or more)
- A USB drive of minimum 8GB(higher recommended)
- Rufus for windows as it’s open-source and it’s easy to create persistence using Rufus.
Let’s begin installing and if you face any issues do let us know in comments. We are assuming that you are using Windows.
Step 1: Download the latest version of Kali Linux
Download the latest version from the Official site of Kali Linux. While downloading also be sure to download SHA256SUMS and SHA256SUMS.gpg files that are next to the image. Verify these signatures before proceeding to installation. This will ensure that files you have downloaded are from legitimate Kali servers.
Step 2: Create a USB drive with Kali and persistence
- Plug a USB drive in the computer (Note: It will get formatted and all data on that USB drive will be erased). Rufus auto-selects the USB drive but If there are multiple drives plugged in just check and select the one you want to use.
- Press Select and browse to the downloaded Image of Kali Linux and select it.
- Allot the amount of space you want to allocate to the persistence storage of Kali Linux(Depending on the capacity of your USB drive).
- Verify the Target system is at BIOS or UEFI(So that you can use this USB in both old legacy as well as new computers).
- Click Start and a prompt will appear warning you all data on that USB drive will be erased click OK(This will erase all your previous data on that USB drive).
Step 4: Boot from USB
Restart your Computer and at start press Boot key which is generally F10 or F12. Else a google search with your motherboard name will let you know which key to press. The system will show you the option to choose the boot drive. select USB drive with Kali to boot.
In Kali boot screen select Kali with Persistence option and press enter. To login into Kali live system default username: root and password: toor (keep this mind till you change it to something else).
This completes the install of Kali Linux on USB with persistence. Now you can verify if the persistence is working properly, just create an empty folder on Desktop. If it remains after reboot persistence is working properly so no need to worry. But if there are some problems you can always ask in the comment.
If you like this don’t forget to share it with your friends as Sharing is Caring. If you want to know how to install Kali Linux on android without root click here
1 thought on “How to Install Kali Linux on USB with persistence easy way”