So you want to logout of Facebook Messenger, but after taping here and there you didn’t find a logout menu. This is because Facebook has made Messenger its own standalone app. And removed the logout option so that you just can’t log out of it – at least easily from within the app.
Facebook often shows you as online even if you are not. But what if you are done using messenger for now. You can’t just uninstall messenger every time you don’t feel like using it. That’s why we here show you some methods that you can use to logout of the Messenger. And focus on your work instead of getting notifications every now and then.
Here are three ways for how to logout of the Facebook Messenger app on your Android or iOS device.
Logout from Messenger on Your Android device
If you are using an iPhone just skip this method and follow the next one as in iPhone you don’t get the option to clear data.
Clear data Messenger App Settings
Logging out of Messenger on Android is really easy even if there is no option to logout inside the Messenger app.
- Just close the Messenger app and head over to phone Settings.
- In Settings, scroll down till you see Apps or Application manager.
- Inside Apps or Application manager, scroll down till you find Messenger.
- Tap to get inside Messenger settings, and find Storage.
- Inside Storage, tap on Manage Storage or Clear data. It will prompt that all of the application’s data will be deleted. Click Delete to proceed.
Now as you deleted Messenger app’s data it has returned to the state like you have installed Messenger just now. So now just open Messenger and you could see you have logged out of Messenger.
Use the Facebook app to logout from Messenger
Now, this method works for both iPhone and Android. As you are using the Messenger app most probably you are also using the Facebook app.
Update: Facebook has even stopped showing messenger in the list of active sessions, so now the other login except Facebook app with smartphone name should be as assumed the Messenger app.
- Open Facebook App, In the app press the hamburger menu(three lines) in the top right corner.
- Scroll down till you see Settings & Privacy, tap on that.
- In Settings & Privacy tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Security and Login.
- You will see a menu for Where you’re logged in. Tap on See all to see all of your current active sessions.
- Select the Messenger login Session and tap on Log Out.
That’s it this will let you log out of the messenger app. If you want you can tap on Log Out of all sessions this will log you out from all the devices you have signed in, including messenger app.
How to Logout of Messenger app using Facebook Website
If you don’t have Facebook App installed or if you just have your PC lying around then use this method.
Update: Facebook has even stopped showing messenger in the list of active sessions, so now the other login except Facebook app in smartphone should be assumed the Messenger app.
- Log in to the Facebook website from your mobile or PC browser.
- Go to the drop-down menu and select Settings.
- Select Security and login and in where you’re logged in click on See more.
- In the list, click on the three-dot menu in messenger login and select Log out.
And you will get logged out of messenger on your smartphone.
So guys we hope you like this post. We know these methods aren’t that great, like just tapping Log Out in a regular way. But these are helpful when you don’t want distractions from Messenger without uninstalling it. Do let us know what do you think of Facebook’s decision to not let us log out from messenger.
Would you like to know how you can screenshot on Snapchat without them knowing? Just click here to know.